Tuesday, August 19, 2014

CL Project 2- Sustainable Landscape

This project was divided into two phases. For phase 1, we were given a task to conduct a case study on the green cities planning from a list given. We were required to research on the green cities, community, sustainable cities and how it benefits the economy, social and environment. Then, we should be selecting a site in Kuala Lumpur and make research includes on the interaction of spaces, human activity and their responses that can be relate to the given site. We also need to study its existing cultural landscape, connectivity, circulation, context and built form of each area.
Green cities listed are Copenhagen, Chicago, Seoul, Singapore, Auckland, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Stockholm and Melbourne 
KL site list:RAPID LRT  : Kelana Jaya, Wangsamaju, Taman Jaya, Pasar Seni and Masjid Jamek
RAPID Komuter : Subang Jaya or Bank Negara
KL Monorail : KL Sentral or Bukit Bintang
For phase 2, the task given was to choose two elements from our KL site and design an A4 pamphlet to introduce our site, ideas and how we can improve it to be more sustainable.

  • The Progress
I had chosen Barcelona as my green city and Bukit Bintang as my site. In a group with all members with the same places of case study, we began to work in group and visit the KL site together.
Here are some photos taken during our site visit.
In Pavilion the shopping mall 
Collecting information from our site and 
we used a mobile apps- Runtastic to know our 
directions and distance travelled.

A summarized project brief given by out tutor, Mr Cherng Yih.


  • Final work
Here is my pamphlet introducing my site and the green cities planning taken from Barcelona to be implemented in my site- Bukit Bintang.


Reflection:
Through this project, I had learnt more about many green cities approaches and principles of other countries and how do people apply them in their daily lives. Our country is now learning from other top green cities to improve and sustain our community's future. It would be a long progress to become a successful green city so I truly value it and I would always support and be part of the green citizens.
TGC logo I learned to put theories into practice. In this case, I am able to apply my information gathered and knowledge learned from research into a pamphlet. Having knowledge is not the most important, we need to know how to apply it into practices, not just stuck in in our mind.
TGC logo I had trained my thinking and problem solving skill. This project allowed me to think more critically on how to improve the current condition of my site and to think creatively to obtain more personal ideas to be added.

No comments:

Post a Comment