Thursday, February 12, 2015

ITD Design Process Journals

Do you like superheroes? Do you like Lego and toys? I'm sure everyone loves them during childhood, so do I.
In the design process journal (DPJ), our task was to make friend with a Lego toy character!

DPJ 1- Understand Your Toy
This is the first DPJ, about understanding our selected toy character. Explore on the characteristics of our toy, its history and the highlights of it, All the findings and research would be compiled as a magazine cover.

My toy character is Sheriff Woody from Toy Story. He is a vintage cowboy doll who always want to keep his place as Andy, his owner's favourite toy. He is the leader of the toys in Andy's room, who is very passionate about everything he do and he is a very likeable character for all of his friends. He is always positive about his life and he always learn from his mistake. That is why I chose him as my Lego toy friend.






DPJ 2- Exploring Key Words
For the second DPJ, our task was to select 3 keywords that best describe our toy character. Then, transform the keywords into 3 simple 2D artworks by applying simple design elements and principles. I have chosen smart, passionate and courageous as my keywords for the artworks. However, I made mistake in the final part as I made the artwork too literal without applying appropriate elements in it. I learned from my mistake and learn about what is a good design that involve good design elements and principles.




DPJ 3- Research & Requirements
The last DPJ was close enough to our final project. It is the first step on the toy display box proposal where we had to choose the best approach or keyword to be focus on. Sketches and ideas of the toy display box would be the outcome of DPJ 3, which had to be furthered developed and improved. I realized having only one keyword is the best way to kick off because at first I had chosen 4 keywords for my lego and that totally put me into a mess.




TGC capabilities learned:
Similar to project 1 and 2, what I have learnt are

TGC logo Discipline Specific Knowledge
Putting design theories into practice

TGC logo Thinking and Problem Solving Skills
Critically think about how to create a good design during the design process

TGC logo Communication Skills
Present my design using appropriate diagrams, images and sketches

No comments:

Post a Comment